Interview with Samara Hook

 I stumble onto Samaras Instagram a couple of months ago and straight away I fell in love with her photography style. Her photos celebrate family, life, love and the little things.

Share a little bit about your family and life.

oooo...sooo this type of question always gets me!… I never know where to start!…. let's see…. I'm a 20 something. Married to a very clever creative and handsome man. We have 3 kids currently aged 5, 3, and 1.  I seem to spend the vast majority of my days cleaning, picking up toys, cooking , and having pretend tea parties.  Most of my evenings are spent editing and working on other aspects of my business. 
We recently moved from inner city Sydney to the Darling Downs in QLD … and are slowly settling into country life. 
How long have you been in the photography industry?
hmmm…. I guess that would be when I had my first paid job, which would have been 2011. Friends started asking me to take photos of their families and it sort of snowballed from there. I bought my first DSLR in 2008, while we were living in England, and when I realised it wasn't giving me the results I had seen in a friends work I promptly spent hours figuring out how to shoot completely on Manual. 
What's your favourite part about being a photographer?
There are so many…! I think firstly I love that I have been able to take something I love and enjoy doing and turn it into a job.  I try to capture the essence or the soul of a family… and when I do that … when I deliver images to a client and see that in their reaction… that's what I love!! 
What camera and lens do you use?
I use a Nikon D700 and shoot with primes (28 1.4, 35 1.4, 45 2.8 TS, 85 1.4)… I've JUST started using film and for that I use a Yashica 124G MAT and a Nikon f100
Who Inspires you?
I honestly try not to spend too much time looking at other photographers work, I think I feel a bit sucked of creativity and can easily fall into a comparison trap, when I do that.  That being said there are people like Benj Haish, Wyn Wiley, Matt & Katie… who are amazing photographers - but also seem to be incredibly genuine people… 
Ultimately though… (are you ready for some corny cornballs?)… my kids inspire me!… The way that little people view the world, the level they see things on, and the details they notice and remember really get me every time.  I can be rushing through life trying to get things done and I'm stopped by their observations about other people, the scenery or whatever...
What are your tips for saving up for a camera and lens?
… I think rather than a tip for saving I would say research, research, research.  There is so much information out there to help you decide what camera would suit your needs… but remember it is so much more than the camera you hold in your hands!
What is your advice for teens who want to be a photographer?
maybe… practice?… challenge yourself by shooting what you wouldn't normally shoot.
Think about why you want to be a photographer… what do you want to communicate through your images...
How do you make people feel confident and comfortable when taking their photos?
I think the number one thing is being confident and comfortable yourself… people will feed off you and become uncomfortable if they feel you don't know what you are doing or if you seem awarked.  Sometimes there are people who really REALLY hate cameras and being in front of them… I try to chat a little (not too much) and get to know them … but mostly my photography style dictates that I blend into the background and just shoot what is happening at that time..
What time of the day is your favourite time to shoot?

Sunrise or sunset…. beautiful golden light.  Often though these are the worst times for families or wedding portraits… so get to know who light affects your camera and what you need to do to work in all different lighting situations and times of day.
You can check out Samara's images on her website, like her on Facebook and follow her on Instagram.
Thanks so much Samara!            all images in this post belong to Samara Hook.

3 comments:

  1. Samaras photography is stunning! off to check out her website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samara's work has always been so inspiring. It just shows how much you can grow in a few short years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just followed Samara on Instagram! Love discovering photographers through your blog, Zara! Amber x

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips